The Annapolis Valley Regional Library Board holds a positive view on the establishment of Friends of the Library groups. The Board defines “Friends of the Library” as: a volunteer group of individuals with a common interest in helping and supporting the library.
- All Friends of the Library projects should be undertaken with full knowledge and approval of the branch librarian, regional librarian and the Library Board.
- The branch librarian and the regional librarian should receive information regarding Friends meetings, officers, plans and purposes. Any public relations work undertaken by Friends should be done only on approval from the regional librarian.
- Friends of the Library are distinct and separate from the Library Board and library personnel and cannot assume their duties.
- Library staff may act only in advisory capacities.
- Operating expenses of the regional library are provided through allocation of public funds. Friends funds cannot be integrated into this budget, except through gifts for specific purposes.
If you are interested in organizing a “Friends Group” for your local library, contact us.
Suggestions for Establishing a Successful Friends Group